Wednesday, October 14, 2009

SYTYCD Review

(For regular readers ... I'm part of a small contingent who watch a silly dance show on FOX called "So You Think You Can Dance." This week is my turn to write the review and thus this space is dedicated to that show. Feel free to read if you like, but beyond the picture up front, is completely Megan free.)

First of all, I must apologize for being silent these past few rounds … as the new guy I couldn’t find your various sites on the Internet, and life got in the way, blah blah blah. But now that we’re in VEGAS BABY, I’m back. So please excuse my minor tardiness.


I felt the best way for you to experience the vibe here at BP Manor is to follow my running diary of the events. Enjoy.


8:00 – Joe Buck teased me at the onset thinking I might be watching baseball. SIKE! I have Jillian operating the Tivo remote, Espen snoring on a chair, and a Mountain Dew and some Chips Ahoy Chocolate Deluxe by my side. Let’s do this. Last week, Nigel and the crew were RUTHLESS as they cut dancers down to 77 like they were Slap Choppin’ chumps. I’m feeling the heat just writing the review.


8:01 – “Season 6 is going to blow Season 5 out of the water” … Jill responded that sounds like her belief about husband number two. Ouch. Already we’re off to a great start.


8:02 – Aww piss. Jazz routines?!?! Why couldn’t I get hip-hop? The mood has already shifted to one of squeamishness and the opening credits are still rolling. And “home girl” even yelled at me for typing during her commands … she’s tough.


8:03 – Karen and the rest of her crew open up the night by scraping through. I’m a bit underwhelmed by the song I’m going to have to listen to for the next few sets. “Give me the green liiiiiiight …. “


8:04 – How do people feel about Nigel’s hair? I’m not feeling his Caesar cut. Whose with me? … and now he’s splitting up married couples? They just do that for the tension it causes.


8:06 - Carlos needs to learn the difference between a woman’s face and a melon and to emphasize his point, Nigel pimp slaps the air to the bass beat. You go Nigel. I think I could definitely have a beer with him, despite the haircut. Although after 4 or 5 he might get handsy with me and at that point, I’m out.


8:07 – Snip snip … seven more people cut. There’s now more people in my fantasy football league than there are dancers on this show now (inside joke for Court).


8:08 – What are the odds Molly and Russell end up dating while on this show? Vegas bookmakers won’t even place odds on that bet. It’s easy money. Meanwhile Jill says Russell doesn’t have the rhythm he should at this point … hmmm, we’ll be monitoring the rest of Jillian’s comments from here on out … by the way, whose the black lady judge? I haven’t seen her yet on the audition shows.


8:09 – “What’s a crumper?” my wife says. And honestly, I don’t know. Never good when I’m supposed to be the reviewer. Meanwhile Molly “went at it really fierce” and hurt her leg. I went at a chili cheese dog “really fierce” once … it didn’t end well for me either. Chin up Molly. And if you don’t want anyone to know … DON’T TELL CAT DEELEY!


(Fast forward through ads obviously targeted to the female viewer)


8:13 – Only 69 dancers left … HA HA … wait, what? I’m the only one laughing. Lame.


8:14 – I’m worried for Russell’s group as soon as I hear the phrase, “It’s 11 o’clock and we’re done.” On reality shows, that is the kiss of death … let’s wait and see.


8:15 – Annnnnnnndddddddd … obviously I was WAY wrong. Good work Russell and crew … now go take care of Molly and her ankle.


8:16 – “Be amazing every time or else you gotta go” … that made Jill snicker. She wonders if that’s what he said to all his ex-boyfriends.


8:19 – I (heart) that Akon song. If I ever went clubbin’ I would totally bounce to it. The dance is terrible, and the judges rightly call them on it. I fear they gave Molly a pass for now but that ankle will be her downfall. Also, these “cut episodes” lend themselves to far more persnicketyness (made up word) from the judges. Makes it less fun in a way.


8:22 – A preview for “Couples Retreat” … Jill turned to me and said, “You know we’re seeing that right?” …. woo hoo?


8:24 - Mia Michaels is a cutter? Yikes. Not a good message for America’s teens. But I like the Halloween music in the background. But, what’s that? Someone tapped into her inner-Enya apparently. Jill doubts her credibility as a choreographer. On what grounds? Her looks. Alright then. It must be the Drew Carey glasses.


8:26 – Nigel’s canary yellow jacket causes my HD tuner to crumble. Thanks Nigel. And Tyce always looks confused at the end of each performance. Like my 19-month-old daughter when I ask her to say please. But at least he talks. Somebody check Shankman for a pulse. Is he alive up there?


8:27 – Mary Murphy tells us the hip-hoppers are “killin’ it” tonight … much like the botox injections have done to the muscles on her face.


8:28 – And our first twist of the night … folks at the BP Manor had Legacy packing his bags … I was even ready for the obligatory shot of Mary crying, but they embrace his “imperfectness’ whatever the heck that means and let him stay. Let’s be honest, he needed to go at this point. He isn’t the dancer the rest of them are. He’s just not.


8:30 – We see Russell cry on the phone to his mom with tears of joy. It’s officially getting dusty at the Manor now. Okay fine I admit it. The Molly thing was a cover. I have a bromance with Russell and I’m not ashamed to admit it. Whew. I feel better now. On to the second half …


8:31 – Have they not played “waking up in vegas” as a lead-in from break yet? Did I miss it last week? It seems like such a no-brainer, I can’t believe it. ARGH … Broadway?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO.


8:35 – Jillian says, “Tyce seems appropriate to be choreographing for Broadway, let’s put it that way.” So she’s now slightly disparaged two disenfranchised groups … let’s see if she can hit the triple crown before the end of the show.


8:36 – MORE injuries? Seriously, this is turning into like a cross-promotion with Gray’s Anatomy at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised to see McDreamy walking down the aisle to treat these people. Well, after he got a latte and fixed his hair. Details people. All jokes aside, I NEVER want to see a shot at that mutated ankle ever again.


8:38 – As they recap Ashley’s audition, I find it a bit ironic that Mary said her expressions seemed “a bit fake.” I know I already made one botox comment already, but really Mary? Just complete irony. And if you don’t think it’s eating Ashley up that her husband is doing better than her, you’re crazy. She seems the needy type and won’t keep that bottled in for much longer before she snaps at someone. Luckily, Nigel saved himself from being skinned by praising her.


8:45 – “I Make Them Good Girls Go Bad” … now that’s what I’m talking about. Was that pool montage entirely for the skeazy male stalkers out there? You’re better than that Fox. And Jillian? “I just do NOT like the redhead, I’m sorry.” Are redheads a minority group? They are. DING DING DING. Jill is on fire.


8:47 – Adam Shankman’s alive everybody. His comment? “I need to go to the gym right now,” when he sees Ryan topless. Unfortunately, he only echoed the thoughts in my head. This is why I hate this show. Too many guys in great shape. Ugh. I think I’ll have another cookie.


8:48 – I liked Ryan until the “does it turn you on?” comment. Ick. Even Jill thought it was cheesy. She did think the body looked good though. Damn. Annnndddd I’m off to eat another cookie.


8:49 – Tyce apparently falls in love with every male dancer on stage. Not even sure what to think about that scene.


8:51 – Dominic , who looks creepily like Usher to me, is DEVASTATED by the news and has a stage 5 meltdown on stage. I felt icky at first at Nigel’s biting commentary but he was spot on. I used to think he was a Simon Cowell wanna-be but Nigel’s growing on me.


8:56 – C’mon FOX. I asked for no more freaky ankle shots. Jerks.


8:58 – Billy Bell is too pale and too frenetic for me, but Shankman is in a tizzy over him. Did he just find out who his biological parents are or watch a kid dance? You’d never know from his reaction. I don’t understand the visceral emotions the judges have to these performances. Don’t they see thousands of dancers perform? It was good, but cry-worthy? C’mon Adam.


8:59 – Alright I’m a hypocrite. That ending montage was PHENOMENAL, at least until the shot of the yellow loincloth outfit. Ummm, okay?


9:00 – Nigel thanks me for my hard work and says we’ll be down to the Top 20 next week. Hopefully my performance tonight puts me in the Top 20 of reviewers for this season. Peace out from the Manor … until next week.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

What a great job, Brian!!! Well done...though I feel some of that credit should go to Jill. And don't expect me to be able to keep up with the minute by minute updates!

I, too, cringed at the loincloth in the ending montage. Actually..."ewwwww!" was muttered at the sight.

I love Mia, though I'm sure she's kicking herself for the cutting comment.

My last 2 comments...questions really. Brian, do you really not know who Debbie Allen is???? And how many cookies did you eat? As I type that, I'm licking the cream cheese icing off my fingers from the carrot cake cupcakes our friend Ashley made last night and Courtney missed! Sad face here.

parsons said...

1) I do NOT, in fact, know who Debbie Allen is. I know who Ray Allen, Marcus Allen, and Allen Iverson are, but not Debbie Allen. I'm sure she's fabulous.

2) The final tally on cookies eaten during the show was zero, I was too busy typing. Basically you called my bluff. I like to overexaggerate and that was one of them ... but later on, when I was done, I did eat 3 cookies and didn't think about Ryan's abs once. Promise.

Crafty P said...

oh my. brian, hysterical! yes, I put you in the top 20 of reviews. YES, I DID!

this show was drama to the ninth degree! holy shiite muslim, batman. I mean, ankles, tears, shankman, mia, ashley (who is totally repressing some feelings and I agree will burst at any moment)- it's all a bit much and I LOVE IT! ha!

but seriously, they really showcased some amazing dancers this week. I think NEXT WEEK will be the most DRAMATIC episode YET!

again, not enough cat deeley for my tastes.

nigel's hair is one HOT MESS. Doesn't he have LOTS of money or something? I mean, I can understand me having a bad haircut (which I do) but NIGEL? c'mon. hope it grows out quickly.

I applaud your lovely Jill and her "backseat commenting".

Also, I try and have the links on my blog for all the upcoming show reviews- so you can find all the "sistahs" there. ALthough you were my last review date on there, so I think we need a new schedule?

again, great job BP!!!! Let's hear it for the TOP 20 (finally!!!)!!!!

Megan said...

I agree with everyone else, great recap!

I could not stand watching that ankle twist one time, let alone the 10 additional times they showed it...in slow motion!

I agree about Ashley. I think she'll get through as someone they want to see grow and as someone Nigel thinks is gorgeous. She comes across as happy happy to your face all the while stabbing you in the back.

Legacy fills the roll of the hip hopper who shows potential and I like how moved he was by dancing contemporary, but I hope he doesn't get in and one of the other better b-boys don't.

Also, they way they showed Adam's reaction to (was it?) Billy's dance...wow, way to make him look like a weirdo! They way the camera kept flashing back to his face was so awkward!

Oh yeah, Brian, not sure if I would have known/recognized Debbie Allen if not for this show - I loved your response to Rachel!

Can't wait for next week, trying not to get too attached to some of the dancers since I'm sure many of them won't make it!

Rachel said...

Hello peolpe!!! FAME? Anyone? Seriously??? And, no. Not the new Fame, but the original....

I'm gonna live forever...

stella g. said...

Brian, i don't even know you, but love what you've done with the sista-hood! minute by minute replays? how can we compete with that?

i'm amazed at how they can draw out this show (and it hasn't even really started yet) but i still love it. and i think that my husband made many of the same comments that your wife did. gotta love the peanut gallery. you should have seen the look on his face when Adam wouldn't stop crying. i'm sure there were many inappropriate things going through his head that he was wise not to vocalize after i said, "wow, that was a really good dance."

thanks for the great recap! it was like living it all over again!

Renee said...

sooooo hilarious! great recap brian, and yeah, seriously, i don't know how we can compete with what you did :)

most memorable thing for me on this past week's show was DEFINITELY the look on Adam's face while watching Billy perform. SO FUNNY! my husband and i just laughed and laughed. honestly, i think the words we uttered was, "what is he doing? orgasming?!"

also loved adam's comment "i gotta go to the gym right now..."

the ankle was so gross...

wish we could have seen more of those solos at the end of the vegas auditions - everyone looks awesome!!
can't wait to see who the top 20 are!

Courtney said...

Yay for our brother!! Great recap...I feel like I was there on the couch with you in East G.D.! Plus Dustin is at least as racist as Jill, so it's all eerily familiar (although I didn't get any oreos...)

First of all- that Jazz dance they all had to do was crazy fast. I felt frantic just watching. Not sure I could even judge if someone did well....it was more to see if they got through it at all.

Then- I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the group dance week in Vegas (hate it on A.I. too). They're not choreographers after all....not sure what we're supposed to gain from watching their sleep deprived attempts at creativity. Seems like forced drama.

And while I agree with you that Nigel's hair is horrendous, and Adam & Mary are a bit out of control, I have to question your assesment of the other judges- I'm going to need you to know who Debbie Allen is....She's kind of a big deal. And EXCUSE ME JILLIAN!!!! Don't hate on Mia. Seriously I get a little crazy, and I will cut you. (turns out Mia might too).

I'm SO excited for top 20. Meg- I love how you're totally invested in the dancers already. I'm waiting to form allegiance, b/c my heart gets broken for those cut in the last round. Can't wait to see who this year's keepers are. And of course it'll be THE BEST SEASON YET! ;)

Crafty P said...

Yeah, Debbie Allen is BIG in the dance industry. Alvin Alley Dance - google that, please.

Also, Fame. Way to bring out the big guns on that one, Rachel.

So, other than not knowing D.A., you did awesome your first go at a recap! to many more! I'll eat an oreo to that! (or two or five or...)