Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Redesign


Colin's arrival has brightened my world in every way but one. This blog. I can't exactly post stories about Colin on a site named "Baby Girl Parsons." And given my infrequency at blog posts it seems completely illogical to try and keep two separate, distinct blogs. The best solution was to rebrand the site. I'm keeping the URL the same b/c trying to redirect traffic to another address would just be goofy in my view.

So here we are ... a pinkless background, a new title, and we're done. If only the redesign of our family dynamic could be so easy.

In Megan's visits to the hospital she bounces up and down waiting to be picked up so she can look in on Colin in his crib. She cries out to him in her high-pitched falsetto, "Hi baby!" But then she quickly bores of the hospital, it's sterileness and lack of toys, and asks for our cell phones to play games on. This leads me to believe that once Colin, Jillian and I come home, baby Colin will get lost in the midst of everything else that garners Megan's attention.

Friends with slightly older children have warned us of the possibility that Megan might regress in her development and want to be babied more again because of the attention she sees Colin receiving. I'm hoping that type of behavior will be minimal but it's good to know about it ahead of time.

We have tried to make her an integral part of this experience. Colin gave her a welcome gift when she came to the hospital, I've made sure to let her know Jill and I will need her help in caring for him, and we've reassured her that Colin will be sleeping a LOT when he comes home so she will still have plenty of time with mom and dad. But I know she will feel neglected at times and my job is to minimize those feelings.

I still want to read books at bedtime with her, play hoops in the driveway, scamper through the playground, and play dollhouse together. Looking at that list, I guess maybe the redesign for the family doesn't need to be the ordeal I'm making it out to be.

2 comments:

popp said...

Love this post :) Looking forward to more reflections on Fatherhood: Take Two.

Christina said...

Love the redesign and makes perfect sense! New challenges come when having a 2nd child into the mix. My challenge now is that Seth and Christian will say we treat one better than the other or that we punish one more than the other. Yeah, yeah, whatever. LOL